Eggs are always a prominent choice of food for several people as they are highly rich in vitamins and proteins and a must for healthy living. Eggs can actually be cooked and consumed in various forms such as Omelet, Scrambled, Boiled or Raw. The best way to have a healthy breakfast is to eat boiled eggs along with a sandwich or a toast or eat them along with a glass of milk. The healthiest and easiest way of consuming eggs is to boil them. Nevertheless, most of us are not aware of the process on how to boil eggs and we end up either half cooking them or over cooking them. If you are one among them who does not know how to boil eggs then this article is a must read for you.
Items Needed: A Bowl, Saucepan, Slotted Spoon, Ice, Cold Water, Eggs and Timer
Here are simple steps to understand the process on how to boil eggs:
- The foremost step is to take the eggs from the fridge and place them in a saucepan that is filled with cold water. The eggs should be placed in such a manner that the water covers them by one inch.
- Now, take the saucepan and place it on the gas such that the water in the pan comes to a rolling boil. Make sure that the water comes to a complete rolling boil and not just boil.
- After the water comes to a rolling boil, you must switch off the gas. Do not sit in the living room and enjoy your favorite TV show as you might end up overcooking the eggs. So as soon as the water comes to rolling boil, you need to remove the pan from the gas and cover it with a lid.
- The most important step is here as to knowing the fact on how long to boil eggs. It is extremely important to know how long to boil eggs because otherwise you might end up with something that you have not anticipated. The time depends on whether you need runny soft boiled eggs or firm soft boiled eggs. Here is the timer list for the kind of soft boiled eggs you need :
- If you need slightly runny soft boiled eggs then keep them covered in the pan for about four minutes.
- If you need runny soft boiled eggs i.e. in the form of hardly set whites then keep them covered in the pan for about three minutes.
- If you need firm soft boiled eggs that are custardy then keep them covered in the pan for about six minutes.
- Having decided on the kind of eggs and selected the time based on that, it’s now time to remove them from the saucepan with the help of a slotted spoon. Now crack these eggs on your kitchen countertop by gently tapping them. However, an important note here is that this step must be eliminated if you are boiling eggs for dyeing then on eve of Easter or if you need extremely soft boiled eggs that have runny yolk.
- Now after this step, you need to take a bowl filled with ice cold water. Place the eggs in this bowl of ice cold water for at least one or two minutes. Peel and eat!. When ready to eat, peel the egg and enjoy.
- Last but not the least peel the eggs and enjoy eating them with your breakfast.
An important note here is that in case you are left with any unused eggs which are in their shells within two hours then you can store them in your refrigerator for up to 7 days.
How to Hard Boil Eggs?
Having understood the procedure for how to boil eggs it is now time to take a snapshot at the procedure for how to hard boil eggs. It is very simple to make hard boiled eggs. If you are thinking that the process of how to hard boil eggs is complicated unlike the process to make soft boiled eggs then you are absolutely wrong. Here we will provide you with basic instructions on how to hard boil eggs without losing their flavor or without overcooking them so that the yolk does not turn green. Here are the steps on how to hard boil eggs:
- For hard boiled eggs you must take a deep large pot so that the eggs are 2 inches above the water.
- Now add cold water to the eggs and make sure that the eggs do not stack up each other and there should be enough space between them. As already mentioned, there should be 2 inches of water above the eggs.
- Now, the eggs with cold water should be placed on the gas for boiling. Bring the water to rolling boil on high heat.
- Having brought pot to rolling boil now you should switch of the gas to medium heat and let them boil for 10 minutes at medium heat without any lid. An important point to make a note of here is that do not stir the eggs in between when they are boiling.
- Now, you need to switch off the gas and remove the eggs from the pot and run them through cold water. Keep repeating this process until the heat inside the eggs have reduced and they are cooled down completely. It is extremely important to cool down the hard boiled eggs after boiling because in this way you can avoid the appearance of green tinge on the egg.
- Last but not the least, crack the shells of the egg, peel them and slice the eggs. Sprinkle some salt and chilly powder the perfectly hard boiled eggs are ready to be consumed.
Hope this article clearly clarifies all your questions on how to boil eggs and how to hard boil eggs so next time before you plan to enjoy eating the most edible form of protein do refer our article if you have any doubts.